Thursday, March 10, 2011

#9 - My dad, Dr. Paul W. Syltie, Ph.D

On Father's Day of last year, I posted a note to my dad's Facebook page listing the top ten reasons why I am thankful that he is my dad.  He called me about a month ago, and I asked him if he had ever seen the note.  Well, it turns out that he had deleted his Facebook account altogether and never saw it.  I thought it would be a good idea to repost here, as I am again and still and always thankful for my dad.

Top Ten Reasons Why I Am Thankful That Dr. Paul W. Syltie, Ph.D Is My Dad:

1. He was always teaching us kids, no matter where or what.  Everything from the clouds in the sky to the plants in our garden became an object lesson.  It fostered a love for learning that I still carry with me today.

2. Every summer, he loaded up Mom and the six of us kids and headed on a 2-3 week road trip up north.  We lived in Texas, and we would always spend some time at "the folks" in Minnesota before we went out west to Yellowstone, the Tetons, or some other beautiful natural setting.  We backpacked in the wilderness, canoed days from civilization, hung our food in trees at night so the bears wouldn't get it, and generally "roughed it".  These are my fondest memories from childhood.  I am so thankful that I got to experience nature in all its awesome beauty at such a young age.  And learning to get along with 5 siblings in a cramped van for days on end equipped me to function wonderfully well in my current huge family!

3. He put a huge emphasis on healthy eating and exercise.  Because of his example and teaching, my favorite food, quite literally, is salad.

4. He taught us to think outside the box when it came to doctors and the medical industry.  As a result, I experienced four beautiful, natural childbirths.  Also, I live without the fear of disease and with an open mind to alternative treatments, and most of all, prevention.

5. He has always been there for me when I needed help.  Whether across town or across the state, if I called in desperation, I never doubted, and he always came.

6. He put tremendous importance on giving us kids the best upbringing he possibly could.  Even when finances were tight, there was always money for private lessons of every kind.  He took time with us every night to read the Bible as a family and made sure we had meals together every day.  He drove miles and miles to get us to all our events.

7. Growing up, I always felt safe and protected.  I was in college before I realized how valuable that feeling is.  If Dad was home, everything was okay - period.

8. He has an accomplished and interesting life as a soil scientist, photographer, and world traveler.  It makes for interesting stories with new friends (and great pictures)!

9. He makes GREAT homemade wine!

10. He is a loving grandparent.  It is a lot of fun to watch him interact with the next generation, and my kids absolutely love all the interesting things he teaches them.  My oldest son, Gideon, went with him on the summer road trip two summers ago and still talks about the good times they had.

No comments:

Post a Comment