Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 5 - Don't Beat Yourself Up!

Today, I am thankful for the kind and loving advice of my husband.  This week has been a kick in the pants. Every day, I have truly made my best effort to get on here and write something, even if it was small.  Five whole days passed with no success.  I have been THINKING about things I am thankful for (and, man, there are a LOT!), but the thoughts just never made it to the keyboard.

I was beginning to panic.  After all, I've always thought I had a natural strength in daily disciplines such as these.  I've frequently used such disciplines to measure how successful I am at life.  Not this time!  I began my anxious monologue about missing so many days, and before I could really run rampant, Tom's wise and tender words were right there to catch me.  "Honey, don't beat yourself up."

Such a simple concept, and one I teach my kids on a daily basis.  My eleven year old son wasted his whole morning reading his book instead of getting to his core homeschool work.  At lunch time, he realized how late it was and panicked.  There I was, reminding him to shake it off, learn from the lesson, and not waste another second beating himself up.  That's advice that is easier to dish than to take, at least for me.

So here I am, squeezing a couple of minutes in to put down on paper (or screen, as it were), how incredibly thankful I am that I am married to an encourager.  He has helped me see that there is more to life than the strict rules I am forever putting myself in bondage to.  He loves me even when I can't seem to keep my 47 daily commitments to myself.

I feel a little more free every day that I practice letting these rules go and I am a little more gentle and kind to myself.  Thank you, Tom.  You are my biggest blessing from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment